Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Loss tangent not being used in the physics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am modeling a problem using the RF module (emw) Comsol 4.2a.
I have defined a material, to which I have added
-Relative Permeability
-Relative Permittivity
-Electrical Conductivity
-Loss Tangent
-Relative Permittivity(real part)

However comsol is only showing a green check mark near the first three: Relative Permeability, Relative Permittivity,
Electrical Conductivity.

There is no indication near Loss Tangent and Relative Permittivity(real part). The values I have entered are valid.

Could someone suggest whats going wrong here and how to fix it? Why isnt comsol using loss tangent in the physics of the problem?

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post Apr 3, 2012, 5:11 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 3, 2012, 5:11 p.m. EDT
That's because in the default definition of emw problem the loss tangent is not used. You need to choose "Loss tangent" under Electric Field Displacement in Wave Equation settings window
That's because in the default definition of emw problem the loss tangent is not used. You need to choose "Loss tangent" under Electric Field Displacement in Wave Equation settings window

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.