Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Static Displacement of Accelerometer Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am currently trying to simulate a differential capacitive comb drive accelerometer, however when simulated the proof mass is over shooting the desired displacement. I am trying to make the maximum displacement of the accelerometer 2 [um]. Currently, in my model the steps I have taken are as follows:

- Defined a list of parameters
- Sketched a 2D model and extruded it to 3D
- Added the material Poly-silicon to all domains
- Applied Solid Mechanics Physics
- Added fixed conditions to domains
- Added a spring foundation to domains
- Added a body load to domains

There seems to be a questionable issue where no matter the value of the spring constant or force applied to the proof mass the displacement simulated is always the same. I even attempted to confirm this by replacing the spring foundation and body load with a prescribed displacement of 2 [um]. However, even under these conditions the proof mass when simulated is always over shot to the same position. This is my first time using COMSOL so any beginner recommendations is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, the file size of my simulation is too large to upload. Instead I have attached my model, hopefully this maybe of some use.

Cheers,
Blaise Bostelmann

1 Reply Last Post Apr 10, 2012, 10:15 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 10, 2012, 10:15 a.m. EDT
I have found out how to upload the full simulation and will attach it to this post. If someone could take a look at it and explain to me why the displacement of the proof mass is always the same, no mater the force applied, your help will be greatly appreciated.
I have found out how to upload the full simulation and will attach it to this post. If someone could take a look at it and explain to me why the displacement of the proof mass is always the same, no mater the force applied, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.