Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Convergence issue with nano pore electrodeposition model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model electrodeposition into a nanopores but am having troubles with convergence. My solution only converges to 1e3 fairly consistently even if I refine the mesh and then it starts to rise to 1e10 and then quits. I am new to comsol and electrodeposition and am doing this as a class project. I did copy a model from the library of models that was copper deposition in a trech, used all its values and then scaled it down and it wouldnt solve. I then made it axisymetric and used the same values and it still wont solve. Now I am running out of ideas. I have refined the mesh, changed the time step smaller, decreased some initial values(i0 and V) and no luck yet. I tried to attach my model but it seems i cant. If there is a way and someone knows how i would be glad to attach it. Instead I have attached a copy of my model and this is the link to the copper deposition model www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/2112/
Thanks
Matt

2 Replies Last Post Jan 20, 2013, 1:48 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2012, 1:56 a.m. EDT
So I have been continuing to investigate sources of error in my simulation and here is where I think a main issue arises. I am trying to do deposition at the bottom of the pores where as in the "Electrochemical Copper Deposition" example they are depositing everywhere. The problem seems to be the way the mesh grows. If I take that simulation and set the mesh growth to 0 on the walls and the top along with making them insulators it doesnt converge and in the attachment you can see how the bottm grows into the walls and the solution stars to diverge. If i set the walls and the tops to be insulators but allow growth of the mesh using the same formula as from the copper deposition file the mesh grows even though I have the top and sides set as insulators and thus there shoulnt be any flux to cause this. I am thus baffeled on how to go about fixing this at the moment. I am assuming I need to change the wall and top growth some how but no sure how. I bassically dont want the sides to grow, just the bottom of the pore to grow up. If anayone know how to do that that would be much appreciated.
So I have been continuing to investigate sources of error in my simulation and here is where I think a main issue arises. I am trying to do deposition at the bottom of the pores where as in the "Electrochemical Copper Deposition" example they are depositing everywhere. The problem seems to be the way the mesh grows. If I take that simulation and set the mesh growth to 0 on the walls and the top along with making them insulators it doesnt converge and in the attachment you can see how the bottm grows into the walls and the solution stars to diverge. If i set the walls and the tops to be insulators but allow growth of the mesh using the same formula as from the copper deposition file the mesh grows even though I have the top and sides set as insulators and thus there shoulnt be any flux to cause this. I am thus baffeled on how to go about fixing this at the moment. I am assuming I need to change the wall and top growth some how but no sure how. I bassically dont want the sides to grow, just the bottom of the pore to grow up. If anayone know how to do that that would be much appreciated.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 20, 2013, 1:48 p.m. EST
Hi Matt,
I was wondering if you could sort out the problems in your model. i am trying to model a similar system and I am getting "inverted mesh " warning all the time.

Thanks in advance,
Sanket
Hi Matt, I was wondering if you could sort out the problems in your model. i am trying to model a similar system and I am getting "inverted mesh " warning all the time. Thanks in advance, Sanket

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.