Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Non-conservation of mass

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I solved for the laminar flow equation for a eprforated pipe. I set up the boundary conditions such as I defined the inlet and outlet flow rates and set a pressure at the holes. Upon evaluation of the flow rate (surface integral of velocity), the mass does not seem to be conserved (ie: total for the holes does not equal in-out). The laminar flow equation was set to incompressible.

Could this be a factor of mesh quality?

1 Reply Last Post Apr 20, 2012, 10:02 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 20, 2012, 10:02 a.m. EDT
Bonjour Mélanie,

Do you integrate the velocity magnitude (U) on the boundaries? Because, for example in 2D, U = sqrt(u^2+v^2), i.e., all velocity components end up positive, therefore giving an incoherent mass balance. You should integrate u, v and w along the boundaries to verify mass balance.
Bonjour Mélanie, Do you integrate the velocity magnitude (U) on the boundaries? Because, for example in 2D, U = sqrt(u^2+v^2), i.e., all velocity components end up positive, therefore giving an incoherent mass balance. You should integrate u, v and w along the boundaries to verify mass balance.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.