Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Chemical Engineering Module: How to couple with Species Transport + can't synchronize due to error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good day dear colleagues,

I have a question about the chemical engineering module (re) (1D). For testing purposes I modeled the reaction:
2H2 + O2 => 2H2O and this works on its own (no coupling or whatever) as a CISTR, fine.
But I want this to happen inside a porous reactor, in the gas phase. So I made 'Species Transport in Porous Media (chpm)' and I can model flow of species through the medium, also fine. But when I try to model every element as a CSTR, using the chemical engineering module to calculate the reaction, it does not work.

First of all, I don't really understand how to couple the concentrations. (re) uses H2, O2 and H2O, but (chpm) uses c_H2, c_O2, c_H2O, how do the two understand this is the same? Also, when I try to couple the two using 'Synchronize with COMSOL Physics' I get a really vague error (see picture).
In words: Unknown Property Tag:SpeciesProperties, But it doesn't say what property!
I checked the demo models and the forum and the knowledge base but I don't see the answer to this problem.

Any suggestions on how to model this kind of thing?
Any help would be really welcome. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Ray

PS. Current model is attached.
1 reactor volume is defined as Vr/resolution (total reactor volume/number of elements) , that is the plan. Currently I multiplied with the resolution again, so the reaction volume is now just 1 m^3 again in the attached model.

2 Replies Last Post May 10, 2012, 9:53 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 28, 2012, 5:13 a.m. EDT
Dear Raymond

Comsol creats a variable for concentration as soon as you check the box for Synchronize . I have same problem in v 4.0a too, the variable is c(species name) and it is a bridge for the two seperate interfaces and I don t know why it can not be distinguished when you are utilizing synchronization.

I have not solved it yet eather, please give me the answer as soon as you fiound it out.

Email: amajburi@yahoo.com

Thank you and good luck

AMIR
Dear Raymond Comsol creats a variable for concentration as soon as you check the box for Synchronize . I have same problem in v 4.0a too, the variable is c(species name) and it is a bridge for the two seperate interfaces and I don t know why it can not be distinguished when you are utilizing synchronization. I have not solved it yet eather, please give me the answer as soon as you fiound it out. Email: amajburi@yahoo.com Thank you and good luck AMIR

Posted: 1 decade ago May 10, 2012, 9:53 a.m. EDT
Hello,

Synchronization also do not work for me in 4.2a. I request COMSOL people to resolve this issue on priority.

Best Regards,

Nawaz Ahmad
KTH
Hello, Synchronization also do not work for me in 4.2a. I request COMSOL people to resolve this issue on priority. Best Regards, Nawaz Ahmad KTH

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.