Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Farfield light scattering

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm using COMSOL Multiphysics 5.5 to calculate light scattering by a nanolens (50 nm of radius). I have a detector, which integrated power flow over a certain surface area, far from the nanolens (a few mm far). The incident beam is expressed via plane wave expansion method in electromagnetic waves, frequency domain, ewfd (660 nm wavelength and 400 nm beam waist, so "port" is not usable). Therefore, it's similar to an antenna example, but with an incident beam. I found two ways for this kind of problems: 1. Farfield calcualtion and 2. electromagnetic waves, beam envelopes, ewbe.

My question is: 1. With the Farfild calcualtion, how do I calculate the power flow? I can calculate the power flow from the background electric field (Eb) and near scattered field (Erel), but how do I find the power flow from the farfield scattering amplitude (Efar) and interference between the farfield and the background field? It seems that only I can get is the scattering amplitude, but does it need some normalization? then how?

1. When I use the ewfd to calculate the scattering and the ewbe to find the power flow far from the scatterer, can I express the beam with PWEM and use the Scattered-field calculation, instead of port and Full-field calculation? All examples I found use the Full-field formalism, so I'm not sure about it.

0 Replies Last Post Mar 29, 2021, 6:43 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Suhun Jo

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.