Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact Impedance and Heat Transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm modelling two hangerbars (Electrowinning) and a busbar, and I want to calculate the heat produced by the contact between the hangerbar and the busbar. It works, until I introduce the heat transfer model. Apparently, the Contact Impedance from the AC/DC model doesn't work with the Heat Transfer, and I can't calculate the power losses in the contact. I have to say that the model gives me a result, but doesn't consider the power losses in the contact area.

One way to solve this it's making a solid contact area, as a new domain, but I want to work only with those areas (boundaries) and not a hall domain.

Can someone help me with this, or pointing to an easier way to solve this particular problem?

Thanks.

Jorge Henriquez

2 Replies Last Post May 31, 2012, 4:09 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 31, 2012, 2:12 a.m. EDT
Hi

I'm not sure it's this but it might be that you need to introduce the surface contact dissipated power explicitely by a surface heat source in the HT

Have you checked carefully the Equation view. With multiphysics one need to carefully check all elements, in particular at the interfaces

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure it's this but it might be that you need to introduce the surface contact dissipated power explicitely by a surface heat source in the HT Have you checked carefully the Equation view. With multiphysics one need to carefully check all elements, in particular at the interfaces -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 31, 2012, 4:09 p.m. EDT
Thansk, but that wasn't it. I solve it changing the surface to a domain, and it works fine.

Thanks for the help anyway.
Thansk, but that wasn't it. I solve it changing the surface to a domain, and it works fine. Thanks for the help anyway.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.