Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Probelm in Assigning boundary conditions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey can somebody tell me how to apply fix boundary constraint in Ux only & to release Uy & Uz.
Right now there is a procedure to apply u=0 only.
Kindly help me out on this the jpeg image of the problem is been attached for reference.

Thanks in advance..

3 Replies Last Post Jun 5, 2012, 9:42 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 5, 2012, 7:52 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Don't use fixed constraint then, because it is fixing u (displacement vector) = 0.

Instead, choose prescribed displacement option and specify just u0=0, and leave out v0 and w0. If this is what you want?

Suresh
Hi, Don't use fixed constraint then, because it is fixing u (displacement vector) = 0. Instead, choose prescribed displacement option and specify just u0=0, and leave out v0 and w0. If this is what you want? Suresh

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 5, 2012, 8:06 a.m. EDT
Thanks Suresh,

Actually our problem statement is that we are modelling a unit cell with spherical inclusions. i have model whole problem in abaqus but with proper prony series of epoxy it's not showing hysteresis, which i get in comsol model. now i am facing problem in plotting S11 and E11 vs. time. from this plot i will get phase lag between stress and strain plot, from which i get damping of material
I want S11 (stress in x direction) & E11(Strain in X direction) can u please tell me how can i plot that in comsol.
Thanks Suresh, Actually our problem statement is that we are modelling a unit cell with spherical inclusions. i have model whole problem in abaqus but with proper prony series of epoxy it's not showing hysteresis, which i get in comsol model. now i am facing problem in plotting S11 and E11 vs. time. from this plot i will get phase lag between stress and strain plot, from which i get damping of material I want S11 (stress in x direction) & E11(Strain in X direction) can u please tell me how can i plot that in comsol.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 5, 2012, 9:42 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Plotting must be easy.

If you go to results, by default you get Solid (stress), with a subnode "Surface" and again I think by default it is von mises stress, you replace it with the appropriate variable. May be in your case it could be solid.SX and solid.eX. Or if you have doubts, just go to the model builder, solid mechanics, linear elastic materials and then click on equation view and you get a list of all variables which you can put into the results node.

Suresh
Hi, Plotting must be easy. If you go to results, by default you get Solid (stress), with a subnode "Surface" and again I think by default it is von mises stress, you replace it with the appropriate variable. May be in your case it could be solid.SX and solid.eX. Or if you have doubts, just go to the model builder, solid mechanics, linear elastic materials and then click on equation view and you get a list of all variables which you can put into the results node. Suresh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.