Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Tracking a field line

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all, I'm pretty new to COMSOL and have been tinkering with the Electrostatics module. In my simulation I created an electric field for my geometry, which is basically made out of two parallel surface with a potential difference. I need to be able to pick a single field line, its points of intersection with my surfaces and devide it into small chunks, dl. I have no idea how to to neither of them. Is it even possible in COMSOL? Much thanks in advance.

3 Replies Last Post Aug 25, 2021, 12:12 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Aug 22, 2021, 6:20 p.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago Aug 22, 2021, 6:25 p.m. EDT

You can create field lines as Streamline plots. And you can export the data as (x,y) pairs from the streamlines that you create. That seems pretty close to what you are asking. See the example .mph file that I just created to illustrate the idea and the .txt file that contains the exported (x,y) pairs. I have it set to plot and export a single particular field line from one plate to another. I hope this helps.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You can create field lines as Streamline plots. And you can export the data as (x,y) pairs from the streamlines that you create. That seems pretty close to what you are asking. See the example .mph file that I just created to illustrate the idea and the .txt file that contains the exported (x,y) pairs. I have it set to plot and export a single particular field line from one plate to another. I hope this helps.

Posted: 3 years ago Aug 23, 2021, 1:20 p.m. EDT

Thanks a lot, that was SUPER helpful. Much appreciated!!

Thanks a lot, that was SUPER helpful. Much appreciated!!

Posted: 3 years ago Aug 25, 2021, 12:12 p.m. EDT

Say, is there a way to import the electric field along a single chosen streamline? (preferably both on the the same file) I can generate the streamline on its own and the electric field map (for the entire geometry) on its own. will also ask outside of this thread.

Say, is there a way to import the electric field along a single chosen streamline? (preferably both on the the same file) I can generate the streamline on its own and the electric field map (for the entire geometry) on its own. will also ask outside of this thread.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.