Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Facing problem with electro-thermo-mechanical actuation of a multi-layer cantilever beam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am working with a 3-layer cantilever beam: the main strucure is made of silicon which is covered with a silicon oxide layer, and above that there is a thin Aluminium layer. My job is to apply electric potential on the Al layer which will then be heated. Then, the heat will transfer to the Si layer via SiO2 layer. Due to difference in thermal expansion coefficient, the cantilever will deflect.

At first, I applied DC volatge at one end of the Al wire and ground a the other end. There was a fixed deflection of the cantilever beam. After that, I applied AC sinusoidal voltage V0sin(2pift) at one end and ground at the other end of the Al layer. Then, I checked the voltage change at the source point using 1D plot -> point graph. Now, for low frequency (e.g. f=1~10 Hz), the voltage graph is slightly distorted (not perfect sinusoidal), and for high frequency (e.g. f~1000 Hz), the voltage graph gives one wave cycle and then becomes DC (e.g. from 0V to 100 mV to -100 mV to fixed 100 mV for rest of the time).

I used joule heating and thermal expansion module with frequecy-transient study. The max. simulation time was 10~100 miliseond and the time step was chosen 1~10 microsecond.

It will be helpful for me if someone can give some insights who had worked with similar stuff, and faced similar problem. (See the attachment for more clarification).

Thanking in advance, Ekram H. Khan.

0 Replies Last Post Oct 28, 2021, 6:02 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ekram Hossain Khan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.