Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plotting electric filed intensity vs y

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hey, i am brand new to comsol and need some help. what i need to do is plot the electric field intensity of the 2d structure varing spatially in y . what physics / study would be required for this.

3 Replies Last Post Nov 4, 2021, 7:10 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago Nov 4, 2021, 4:34 p.m. EDT
Updated: 2 years ago Nov 4, 2021, 4:36 p.m. EDT

The proper choice of physics and study depends on what you are trying to compute, not so much on what you want to plot. There are many possible studies and processes that could involve computing an "electric field intensity" in a "2d structure." So I encourage you to tell the community more about what kind of physics problem you are actually trying to solve. Finally, bear in mind that in any of them, if the electric field is computed, then you can plot it fairly easily using the post-prcoessing tools. To learn how to use those, refer to the many example applications, tutorials, videos, and more that have been provided by Comsol.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
The proper choice of physics and study depends on what you are trying to *compute*, not so much on what you want to *plot*. There are many possible studies and processes that could involve computing an "electric field intensity" in a "2d structure." So I encourage you to tell the community more about what kind of physics problem you are actually trying to solve. Finally, bear in mind that in any of them, if the electric field is *computed*, then you can plot it fairly easily using the post-prcoessing tools. To learn how to use those, refer to the many example applications, tutorials, videos, and more that have been provided by Comsol.

Posted: 2 years ago Nov 4, 2021, 5:54 p.m. EDT

The proper choice of physics and study depends on what you are trying to compute, not so much on what you want to plot. There are many possible studies and processes that could involve computing an "electric field intensity" in a "2d structure." So I encourage you to tell the community more about what kind of physics problem you are actually trying to solve. Finally, bear in mind that in any of them, if the electric field is computed, then you can plot it fairly easily using the post-prcoessing tools. To learn how to use those, refer to the many example applications, tutorials, videos, and more that have been provided by Comsol.

The problem involves using metamaterials and passing an electric field through the material, for now , i have the electric field surface plot .

>The proper choice of physics and study depends on what you are trying to *compute*, not so much on what you want to *plot*. There are many possible studies and processes that could involve computing an "electric field intensity" in a "2d structure." So I encourage you to tell the community more about what kind of physics problem you are actually trying to solve. Finally, bear in mind that in any of them, if the electric field is *computed*, then you can plot it fairly easily using the post-prcoessing tools. To learn how to use those, refer to the many example applications, tutorials, videos, and more that have been provided by Comsol. The problem involves using metamaterials and passing an electric field through the material, for now , i have the electric field surface plot .

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago Nov 4, 2021, 7:10 p.m. EDT
Updated: 2 years ago Nov 4, 2021, 7:11 p.m. EDT

>

The problem involves using metamaterials and passing an electric field through the material, for now , i have the electric field surface plot .

Good. If I understand you correctly, then at this stage, you've solved your problem? You say you "have the electric field surface plot." May I assume that you made that plot using Comsol Multiphysics? If so, then I am going to guess that, at this point, you have learned enough about the "Results" part of the interface to similarly figure out how to make line plots. Note that if you don't already have the line of interest to you specified during the geometry-making stage, you can always add one after the FE problem solution, by adding a "cut" line. Best regards.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
> >The problem involves using metamaterials and passing an electric field through the material, for now , i have the electric field surface plot . Good. If I understand you correctly, then at this stage, you've solved your problem? You say you "have the electric field surface plot." May I assume that you made that plot using Comsol Multiphysics? If so, then I am going to guess that, at this point, you have learned enough about the "Results" part of the interface to similarly figure out how to make *line* plots. Note that if you don't *already* have the line of interest to you specified during the geometry-making stage, you can always add one after the FE problem solution, by adding a "cut" line. Best regards.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.