Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Interior Boundaries

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I've made a few changes on my model, and the boundaries that were recognized as interior boundaries before, now they are not. That's a problem for me, because when I want to set the settings I have different options to choose, and in the second one I don't have the option I need.

The model is an inductor with a box covering it. The ends of the wire touch one face of the box. The only chage I've made is adding more turns around the core.

Could anyone give me ideas to solve this problem?

Thank you for your help.

2 Replies Last Post Feb 15, 2010, 11:38 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 6, 2010, 5:51 a.m. EST
Hi

It's dificult for us out here, at least for me, to "visualise" your problem, a plot or some sketch could help.

In any case it's important to understand the difference between interiour and external boundaries, this depends on a few criteria: geoemtrical and the options you us if you deactivate some geometry in some applications mode. By default interiour boundaries are of "continuity" type and are greyed out, you must turn them "on" specifically (all in one go, per physics).

Continuity means that the paramters on each side (up/down) are linked by known simple formulas, but you can also decide to change this, I use often many "interiour" boundaries specially defining symmetries of my geoemtry, just to force some symmetry on the meshing (by the presence ofthe boundary) and on the solution (by forcing an explicit BC condition on the border).

Finally, if you add an object in 2D its easy to misplace it, or to slightly drag an object out of correct position this can sometime fool COMSOL to beleive there is a gap or an overlay of two sub-domains and change its way to consider youre interiour and external boundaries

Hope this helps on the way
Good luck
Ivar
Hi It's dificult for us out here, at least for me, to "visualise" your problem, a plot or some sketch could help. In any case it's important to understand the difference between interiour and external boundaries, this depends on a few criteria: geoemtrical and the options you us if you deactivate some geometry in some applications mode. By default interiour boundaries are of "continuity" type and are greyed out, you must turn them "on" specifically (all in one go, per physics). Continuity means that the paramters on each side (up/down) are linked by known simple formulas, but you can also decide to change this, I use often many "interiour" boundaries specially defining symmetries of my geoemtry, just to force some symmetry on the meshing (by the presence ofthe boundary) and on the solution (by forcing an explicit BC condition on the border). Finally, if you add an object in 2D its easy to misplace it, or to slightly drag an object out of correct position this can sometime fool COMSOL to beleive there is a gap or an overlay of two sub-domains and change its way to consider youre interiour and external boundaries Hope this helps on the way Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 15, 2010, 11:38 a.m. EST
Thank you for your comments, they have helped me.

Regards,
Lidia.
Thank you for your comments, they have helped me. Regards, Lidia.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.