Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

worm-like movement

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am modelling a Piezoelectric structure, that is supposed to move along a surface, as a result of the deformations caused by an input voltage. I have successfully simulated the displacement both in stationary phase and in time-domain, where a sinusoidal voltage is used as input. However, I don't know how to proceed with modelling the movement. I know that I should use contact pairs, but which types of settings should I use for such a movement?

3 Replies Last Post Jan 17, 2022, 11:18 a.m. EST
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago Jan 8, 2022, 6:11 a.m. EST

Hi,

contacts can be a little tricky and you will probably need to play with the settings. Check the application library, maybe you find some useful hints. You will probably need a moving mesh as well.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, contacts can be a little tricky and you will probably need to play with the settings. Check the application library, maybe you find some useful hints. You will probably need a moving mesh as well. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 2 years ago Jan 13, 2022, 8:29 a.m. EST

Thank you for the answer. I have been playing a lot with the settings. So, far, I can't find a way to have a converging model. But I will keep trying and also exploring the library.

Cheers Nasim

Thank you for the answer. I have been playing a lot with the settings. So, far, I can't find a way to have a converging model. But I will keep trying and also exploring the library. Cheers Nasim

Posted: 2 years ago Jan 17, 2022, 11:18 a.m. EST

Hi, I have been playing with different settings of the contact and the solvers. But I can't seem to find a properly converging model. In my model (attached to this post), I have two different voltages applied to two conductive materials encapsulating a piezoelectric material. This is to enable a latera movement of the whole structure along the ground. There is an inverted silicon substrate in the model as well. I started with free contacts to simplify the model, and then continue with friction. For now, I want to see how a stationary solver converges, then I will move on to a time-dependent solver, in order to model a sinusoidal input voltage. If somebody could look at my model and tell me where I have made mistakes, I would really appreciate their help. At this point, I am very confused and the settings might look random. But the most recurring wanrning (which I guess causes a non-converging model) is "inverted mesh element" near coordinates at which there is no geometry. Changing the mesh did not help in this respect at all :(

kind regards Nasim

Hi, I have been playing with different settings of the contact and the solvers. But I can't seem to find a properly converging model. In my model (attached to this post), I have two different voltages applied to two conductive materials encapsulating a piezoelectric material. This is to enable a latera movement of the whole structure along the ground. There is an inverted silicon substrate in the model as well. I started with free contacts to simplify the model, and then continue with friction. For now, I want to see how a stationary solver converges, then I will move on to a time-dependent solver, in order to model a sinusoidal input voltage. If somebody could look at my model and tell me where I have made mistakes, I would really appreciate their help. At this point, I am very confused and the settings might look random. But the most recurring wanrning (which I guess causes a non-converging model) is "inverted mesh element" near coordinates at which there is no geometry. Changing the mesh did not help in this respect at all :( kind regards Nasim

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.