Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Effective index

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I try to calculate the effective index of photonic crystal fiber. So for comsol I know only that I can set a single value of wavelength.
Is it possible with comsol to define a range of wavelengths (with to define its step ) in order to calculate the effective index?

Thanks in advance,
Ilyes

6 Replies Last Post May 11, 2011, 9:10 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 6, 2010, 5:15 a.m. EST
Hi

If you operate in the "parametric solver" mode, you can define your "parameter" value as the frequency variable (or a value that drives the frequency though an expression)

Then you can scan over frequency or optical wavelength

Good luck
Ivar
Hi If you operate in the "parametric solver" mode, you can define your "parameter" value as the frequency variable (or a value that drives the frequency though an expression) Then you can scan over frequency or optical wavelength Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 11, 2010, 3:32 p.m. EST
Hi!
What should I put in the "Global variable to evaluate" dialog box in order to get the effective refractive index as an output? I cannot find the name of the variable...
thanks a lot!
Francois
Hi! What should I put in the "Global variable to evaluate" dialog box in order to get the effective refractive index as an output? I cannot find the name of the variable... thanks a lot! Francois

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 12, 2010, 1:44 a.m. EST
Hi

is it the "effective mode index" neff ? you are looking for

in which case try an indexed search on the rfug.pdf doc
good luck
Ivar
Hi is it the "effective mode index" neff ? you are looking for in which case try an indexed search on the rfug.pdf doc good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 20, 2010, 6:07 a.m. EDT
hi dr
in photonic crystal and comsol v4, how can i plot dispersion?
hi dr in photonic crystal and comsol v4, how can i plot dispersion?

Posted: 1 decade ago May 8, 2011, 9:11 a.m. EDT
Hello Ivar

Plz tell us how we can calculate dispersion using version 4.10??

Thanking you

Regards
Anwar

Hello Ivar Plz tell us how we can calculate dispersion using version 4.10?? Thanking you Regards Anwar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2011, 9:10 a.m. EDT
Hi,

We didn't get the automation to work. In fact, we noticed that multiple modes showed up for each simulation point. We decided to go through each simulation point manually to choose the expected distribution profile. Many of the generated simulations did not make sense (lots of discontinuities), and we noticed that the generated results were very sensitive to our initial guess on effective refractive index.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Kevin
Hi, We didn't get the automation to work. In fact, we noticed that multiple modes showed up for each simulation point. We decided to go through each simulation point manually to choose the expected distribution profile. Many of the generated simulations did not make sense (lots of discontinuities), and we noticed that the generated results were very sensitive to our initial guess on effective refractive index. I hope this helps. Regards, Kevin

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.