Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to obtain self inductance and mutual inductance of conductors

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

two or more conductors ( not in coil shape) or one conductor with more than two terminals, how to obtain their self inductance of conductors and mutual inductance between every two conductors or terminals.

First, which Physics interface(s) should be used, mfco(Magnetic Fields Current Only , mf ( Magnetic Fields ) or mef ( Magnetic and electric fields ). And frequency domain study should be added.

Second, If mfco is chosen, one conductor can only add one terminal. So if one conductor with one terminal which current flows in and two or more terminals which current flows out, how does it work? If mf is chosen, how can current be added to the face? And how to calculate the inductances? If mef is chosen, there is similar questions with the mf physics interface.

Third, the mcfo can calculate the inductance matrix directly, but the other two physics interface cannot obtain the matrix. Inductance can be calculated by definition formula of inductance. But the calculated number is just a real or complex number. Does the effect of mutual inductances contain in the number? How can I obtain the mutual inductance? Using the formula ?

I‘ve been confused these for a long time. I hope deeply someone can help me

Thank you very much.

0 Replies Last Post Mar 25, 2022, 6:55 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello 剑波 周

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.