Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to make a variable of 3rd order derivatives?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Summary

I am trying to solve Navier-Stokes with a forcing term which is a function of the third derivatives of another problem. I am trying to find the best way to do that.

Full problem

I am considering the Navier-Stokes equations coupled with a non-linear PDE.

The forcing term is defined in terms of the variables and , and is given by

where

Issue

As the forcing term contains third order derivatives, I have to compute it seperately in its own PDE. I am trying to figure out the best way to do that. I have set up a general PDE which is of the form

where the matrix is in terms of the second order derivatives of and . But the issue that I am having is the boundary conditions. I have tried zero flux (but that doesn't work since does not contain ). Dirichlet boundary conditions also do not work because of the third order derivatives. I would like some advice on how to compute .

1 Reply Last Post Apr 15, 2022, 12:07 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago Apr 15, 2022, 12:07 p.m. EDT

I found the solution, it was to define the functions which were subject to Dirichlet conditions dependent on . These were a part of the PDE (which went from 2 dependent variables to 6).

I found the solution, it was to define the functions Px_i:=\frac{\partial Q_i}{\partial x} Py_i:=\frac{\partial Q_i}{\partial y} which were subject to Dirichlet conditions dependent on \nabla Q_i. These were a part of the Q PDE (which went from 2 dependent variables to 6).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.