Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat transfer in fluid with Super Critical CO2

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

For my research project I have managed to build a multiphysics model coupling heat transfer in solids and heat transfer in pipes to simulate deep geothermal energy production. The model currently uses water as heat transfer fluid, however I want to move on to super critical carbon dioxide (CO2). C02 behaves as a supercritical fluid above its critical temperature (304.13 K, 31.0 °C, 87.8 °F)[1] and critical pressure (7.3773 MPa, 72.8 atm, 1,070 psi, 73.8 bar), and is ideal for heat transfer compared to water.

Comsol does have CO2 as an option for heat transfer fluid. I have also changed the initial conditions for the model so that they match critical temperature and critical pressure. However, the model doesn't seem to work as outlet temperature does not change - meaning heat transfer in pipe module became broken with the new heat transfer fluid.

I would love to have some pointers from someone who has done something similar before. Thanks in advance!

0 Replies Last Post Jun 26, 2022, 6:07 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Xuan Hieu Nghiem

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.