Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to calculate effective dielectric constant?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Greetings to all,

I have recently started using COMSOL to simulate a system from which I want to calculate the effective dielectric constant. I contruct the system as follows:

1. I generate a "bulk" material_1 (rectangular shape)
  2. I generate N circles to represent particles of material_2; unite these circles (dont keep input objects nor interior boundaries)
  3. I make the difference between material_1 and material_2 systems, keeping both input objects and interior boundaries;
  4. On electrostatics physics I set the lower edge of material_1 to be ground and upper edge to be the electric potential;

At this point, from this construction I want to calculate mostly the effective dielectric constant, but if I can calculate effective resistivity and piezoelectric constant would be great as well. I do my simulations on Static solver but I also tried Frequency domain (1 kHz to 1 MHz) and the results do not change. Moreover, for such simulations I have already done their experimental counterparts so I know what to expect.

How do I calculate the effective dielectric constant and my simulations appear to be incorrect?

Best regards,

VR

1 Reply Last Post Sep 20, 2022, 9:53 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago Sep 20, 2022, 9:53 a.m. EDT

Hello Victor,

See this model which involves a different physical phenomenon but basically the same equation.

Note that in 2D your circles correspond to cylinders. Not sure whether that's the shape you intend for your particles, but I thought I'd mention it. If you intend to model spherical particles, then a 3D model is in order.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Victor, See [this model](https://www.comsol.com/model/effective-diffusivity-in-porous-materials-978) which involves a different physical phenomenon but basically the same equation. Note that in 2D your circles correspond to cylinders. Not sure whether that's the shape you intend for your particles, but I thought I'd mention it. If you intend to model spherical particles, then a 3D model is in order. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.