Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Errors with time-dependent and stationary studies

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey everyone,

I am trying to model laminar flow through a pill with randomly generated large pores. When I run a time dependent study, I get the error "Failed to find consistent initial values", and when I run a stationary study, I get "Failed to find a solution. Maximum number of Newton iterations reached. Returned solution is not converged. Not all parameter steps returned." I could not attach my .mph file as it is too large (even as a zip file), but the file could be accessed using this link. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am self learning this :)

1 Reply Last Post May 8, 2023, 3:31 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 12 months ago May 8, 2023, 3:31 p.m. EDT
Updated: 12 months ago May 8, 2023, 3:34 p.m. EDT

Hint: You can reduce the size of your file by clearing the solution and mesh. Then you can post the .mph file here. As noted by Comsol staff in the link below: "If your MPH-files are large, you can greatly reduce their size by selecting Clear All Built Meshes from the Mesh menu and Clear All Solutions from the Study menu, and then saving your MPH-files. If you are using COMSOL Multiphysics® version 5.2a or later, then go to the File Menu > Preferences, Files section. For the Saving COMSOL application files setting, change the Optimize for setting to File Size. This reduces the saved file sizes for COMSOL® application files."

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Hint: You can reduce the size of your file by clearing the solution and mesh. Then you can post the .mph file here. As noted by Comsol staff in the link below: "If your MPH-files are large, you can greatly reduce their size by selecting Clear All Built Meshes from the Mesh menu and Clear All Solutions from the Study menu, and then saving your MPH-files. If you are using COMSOL Multiphysics® version 5.2a or later, then go to the File Menu > Preferences, Files section. For the Saving COMSOL application files setting, change the Optimize for setting to File Size. This reduces the saved file sizes for COMSOL® application files."

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.