Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulating Strain Along a Compressed Hexagonal Cone: Seeking Advice on Constraints and Loads

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

"Hello everyone,

I am new to the Structural Mechanics module in COMSOL Multiphysics and I am facing difficulties in determining the appropriate constraints and loads for my simulation.

I would like to simulate the strain distribution along a compressed hexagonal cone. However, all the examples I have come across in the documentation involve fixing one end of the hexagonal shape.

In my case, I would like to apply compression to both the top and bottom of the hexagonal cone, as shown in the attached figures. I am wondering if there is a way to compress the object on its bottom and top sides without fixing one end.

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice on how to achieve this simulation setup.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

5 Replies Last Post May 24, 2023, 4:00 a.m. EDT
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 11 months ago May 20, 2023, 1:49 p.m. EDT

You could use a roller boundary condition on one face.

There are other options but in all cases you will probably need to suppress rigid body motion. Either use the domain constrait or think about inserting explicit constraints.

You could use a roller boundary condition on one face. There are other options but in all cases you will probably need to suppress rigid body motion. Either use the domain constrait or think about inserting explicit constraints.

Posted: 11 months ago May 21, 2023, 10:04 p.m. EDT

To perform structural analysis effectively, it is necessary to have at least one point constrained in all directions. Although it is a hexagonal cone, since it is subjected to compressive stress, I recommend creating a symmetric geometry corresponding to a 90-degree sector and applying symmetry conditions on the symmetry plane. This will constrain the x and y directions.

To impose constraints in the z direction, you can apply a roller condition on the bottom surface or use the "Prescribed displacement" condition for a selected point on the bottom surface to constrain the z direction.

To perform structural analysis effectively, it is necessary to have at least one point constrained in all directions. Although it is a hexagonal cone, since it is subjected to compressive stress, I recommend creating a symmetric geometry corresponding to a 90-degree sector and applying symmetry conditions on the symmetry plane. This will constrain the x and y directions. To impose constraints in the z direction, you can apply a roller condition on the bottom surface or use the "Prescribed displacement" condition for a selected point on the bottom surface to constrain the z direction.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 11 months ago May 22, 2023, 8:42 a.m. EDT

There is no requirement that at least one point be constrained in all directions, but as David pointed out earlier constraints need to suppress all rigid body motion (in 3D, that's 3 rotations and 3 translations). This topic has been addressed many times before in this Discussion Forum, so you will find plenty of advice on how to achieve this. See for instance this thread.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
There is no requirement that at least one point be constrained in all directions, but as David pointed out earlier constraints need to suppress all rigid body motion (in 3D, that's 3 rotations and 3 translations). This topic has been addressed many times before in this Discussion Forum, so you will find plenty of advice on how to achieve this. See for instance [this thread](https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/157462/simulating-uniaxial-tensile-test?last=2017-10-27T10:18:14Z). Best, Jeff

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 11 months ago May 22, 2023, 9:53 a.m. EDT

Here is a blog post discussing similar matters: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-parts-without-constraints-in-your-structural-analyses

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Here is a blog post discussing similar matters:

Posted: 11 months ago May 24, 2023, 4:00 a.m. EDT
Updated: 11 months ago May 24, 2023, 4:00 a.m. EDT

Thank you all for your answers. Have a nice day !

Thank you all for your answers. Have a nice day !

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.