Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

thermal expansion leads to overlapping domains

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!
I have a model composed of three layers, three different materials, of very different coefficients of thermal expansion. The top layer has cracks built into the geometry. The first two study steps model the deposition of the top two coatings. The third step heats up the entire structure. The domains initially separated by cracks now overlap. I would like to communicate to COMSOL that they should not overlap. How do I do that? I am using COMSOL 4.3. Physics include solid mechanics for steps 1 and 2, thermal stress for step 3, and heat transfer in porous media for steps 2 and 3.
Thank you!
Chelsea

3 Replies Last Post Oct 24, 2012, 11:25 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 24, 2012, 7:33 p.m. EDT
Hello Chelsea,

That area of COMSOL modeling goes by the name of "Contact Pairs" or "Contact Modeling". Basically, you need to identify all the pairs of boundaries that might come into contact and then implement a very strong force that keeps them apart. COMSOL helps you out by providing the force.

Identifying the boundary pairs can be done in the model definitions, in the Model Builder menu selection "Model 1/Definitions/Pairs/Contact Pair". You can create one contact pair for each set of potentially interpenetrating boundaries in your model.

To implement the forces, you will use the selection "Solid Mechanics 2/Pairs/Contact". Then select the contact pair and specify any changes you need to the default force. (It is not called a "force" on this page, but a "penalty factor", but a rose by any other name smells the same.) Of course, accepting the defaults is a good place to start.

There is a lot of information about contact modeling in the help files, and they will help you out with suggestions for getting good results. In your case, the pairs are symmetric, so it won't matter which one of the pair you call the "source" and which you call the "destination". I suggest you try it out with just one of the cracks for starters, and then work from there. If you get stuck, check out the Model Library entries under "Structural Mechanics Module/Contact and Friction".

Good Luck!
Hello Chelsea, That area of COMSOL modeling goes by the name of "Contact Pairs" or "Contact Modeling". Basically, you need to identify all the pairs of boundaries that might come into contact and then implement a very strong force that keeps them apart. COMSOL helps you out by providing the force. Identifying the boundary pairs can be done in the model definitions, in the Model Builder menu selection "Model 1/Definitions/Pairs/Contact Pair". You can create one contact pair for each set of potentially interpenetrating boundaries in your model. To implement the forces, you will use the selection "Solid Mechanics 2/Pairs/Contact". Then select the contact pair and specify any changes you need to the default force. (It is not called a "force" on this page, but a "penalty factor", but a rose by any other name smells the same.) Of course, accepting the defaults is a good place to start. There is a lot of information about contact modeling in the help files, and they will help you out with suggestions for getting good results. In your case, the pairs are symmetric, so it won't matter which one of the pair you call the "source" and which you call the "destination". I suggest you try it out with just one of the cracks for starters, and then work from there. If you get stuck, check out the Model Library entries under "Structural Mechanics Module/Contact and Friction". Good Luck!

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 24, 2012, 8:17 p.m. EDT
Thanks for the detailed reply! Much appreciated.

A quick follow up question... I created my contact pairs and can access them to apply a penalty force in my Solid Mechanics step. However, my study has multiple steps, and I can't seem to be able to access the contact pairs in the later physics. Of the three steps, the only step where the domains would potentially overlap (thermal stress). Here, when I select a contact pair, there is no list of pairs to choose from. Thoughts?
Thanks for the detailed reply! Much appreciated. A quick follow up question... I created my contact pairs and can access them to apply a penalty force in my Solid Mechanics step. However, my study has multiple steps, and I can't seem to be able to access the contact pairs in the later physics. Of the three steps, the only step where the domains would potentially overlap (thermal stress). Here, when I select a contact pair, there is no list of pairs to choose from. Thoughts?

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 24, 2012, 11:25 p.m. EDT
Nevermind, got it!
Thanks
Nevermind, got it! Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.