Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to Find Mesh Bias in COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

To mesaure the mesh quality , there is a option for mesh bias factor in other software like 'Ansys'. In COMSOL in mesh statics there is no option for mesh bias, I need it to report it in a documents. How can I find it in COMSOL, Please suggest, Thank you !

Bias factor is the ratio of the largest edge size to the smallest.

4 Replies Last Post Jun 1, 2023, 8:12 a.m. EDT
Bjorn Bretz COMSOL Employee

Posted: 11 months ago May 31, 2023, 10:46 a.m. EDT

Dear Shyam,

You can write a model method that computes the ratio between the lengths of the shortest and longest edges of a mesh element and then determines the minimum of these ratios. This method needs to use low level mesh information that you can retrieve from the Java API.

Dear Shyam, You can write a model method that computes the ratio between the lengths of the shortest and longest edges of a mesh element and then determines the minimum of these ratios. This method needs to use low level mesh information that you can retrieve from the Java API.

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 11 months ago May 31, 2023, 12:35 p.m. EDT

I'm curious, what is mesh bias and how does Ansys compute it?

Comsol has (among other things) a Mesh Quality figure of merit.

I'm curious, what is mesh bias and how does Ansys compute it? Comsol has (among other things) a Mesh Quality figure of merit.

Posted: 11 months ago Jun 1, 2023, 12:58 a.m. EDT
Updated: 11 months ago Jun 1, 2023, 9:28 a.m. EDT

Thanks Bjorn for your reply. Actually at this time I do not know how to use model method to work on mesh information. I will see, thanks.

Dear Dave, Bias factor is the ratio of the largest edge size to the smallest. In Ansys it directly gave under the mesh quality section.

Thanks

Thanks Bjorn for your reply. Actually at this time I do not know how to use model method to work on mesh information. I will see, thanks. Dear Dave, Bias factor is the ratio of the largest edge size to the smallest. In Ansys it directly gave under the mesh quality section. Thanks

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 11 months ago Jun 1, 2023, 8:12 a.m. EDT
Updated: 11 months ago Jun 1, 2023, 9:28 a.m. EDT

There are several mesh quality measures in COMSOL. The one called 'Volume versus length' (variable name qualvollength) serves the same purpose as 'bias factor' measuring the mesh anisotropy. The numbers that it returns are not the same though.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
There are several mesh quality measures in COMSOL. The one called 'Volume versus length' (variable name *qualvollength*) serves the same purpose as 'bias factor' measuring the mesh anisotropy. The numbers that it returns are not the same though.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.