Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to obtain the same result using user-defined hyperelastic material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Comsol Professionals:

I am currently facing difficulties obtaining consistent results using a user-defined function. My simulation involves modeling the torsion of a cylinder within a 3D Solid Mechanics model, using a nearly incompressible hyperelastic material (St Venant–Kirchhoff). The objective is to study the nondimensionalized normal stress (normal stress divided by shear modulus) on the upper face of the cylinder.

Initially, I utilized a built-in material model, which yielded an output of 10^-12 when the radial parameter (rad) was set to 4*10^-4. This result closely aligns with our estimations. However, when I applied the St Venant–Kirchhoff model as a user-defined function, the output increased to 39. It is important to note that I did not make any other changes to the simulation settings.

I am looking for the reasons causing this difference, and I would greatly appreciate any guidance on how to resolve this issue. For your reference, I have attached the mph file.

Here is my current setup: Hyperelastic material - user-defined - nearly incompressible. The user-defined model is defined in local variables (energy function). Fixed constraint- boundary 3 Rigid Connector - boundary 4 Connection type (Rigid) - center of rotation (centroid) - prescribed displacement (0,0,0)

0 Replies Last Post Jul 26, 2023, 10:26 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Zack Pan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.