Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Microchannel particle separation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello colleagues,

I am sitting with a problem of getting matching results from a study (doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2023.04.013) in regard to particle tracing. I have set up a model that is similar to the one that has been shown in the study.

My study is separated into 2 steps, firstly in the stationary step it determines laminar flow with P2+P2 discretization, then Step 2 is the time-dependent step that gets the values not solved for from Step 1. This step then works out the pathing of these particles that I have applied as input. I have taken wall-induced lift forces and drag forces into account as well as Dean drag forces from Step 1 yet I keep on getting the larger particles migrating to the walls of the channels further than the smaller particles. This conflicts to the study at hand as well as similar models in other studies. I have tried making different models and all end up doing the same thing, so I obviously must be missing something rather simple. I have attached the file as well. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Kind regards, Joaquin

0 Replies Last Post Sep 5, 2023, 7:36 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Joaquin Schulze

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.