Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cable harmonic heating

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am new to COMSOL and have a question regarding a project I am working on. I am basically trying to model a 3-phase buried cable system with the purpose of studying the heating caused by having harmonic currents flowing in the cables and the impact that the skin and proximity effects have on this heating. I have successfully modeled the cable system and can individually see the impact of the harmonics at each frequency separately by running a parametric sweep in a Freqeuncy-Stationary study however I am interested in running the simulation with all the currents present at the same time in the coil entity. The idea I had was to somehow to run the study at 50Hz and then have the final temperature of this iteration be the initial temperature for the cables in the next step (100Hz) and so on up to the final desired frequency (2500Hz) but I have no idea how to do this. I would really appreciate the help. Please find attached a copy of my COMSOL file.

2 Replies Last Post Sep 20, 2023, 6:47 p.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 months ago Sep 20, 2023, 3:45 p.m. EDT

Hi Zafer,

you may want to look into this blog contribution by Walter Frei.

https://www.comsol.de/blogs/using-the-previous-solution-operator-in-transient-modeling/

The example shown is in time domain, but should work in frequency domain as well. With a little additional algebraic equation you can sum up all power contributions from the harmonics and use this power for the thermal physics. Key is the use of the previous solution in the equation.

Good luck, Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Zafer, you may want to look into this blog contribution by Walter Frei. https://www.comsol.de/blogs/using-the-previous-solution-operator-in-transient-modeling/ The example shown is in time domain, but should work in frequency domain as well. With a little additional algebraic equation you can sum up all power contributions from the harmonics and use this power for the thermal physics. Key is the use of the previous solution in the equation. Good luck, Edgar

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 months ago Sep 20, 2023, 6:47 p.m. EDT
Updated: 7 months ago Sep 20, 2023, 6:38 p.m. EDT

I've looked at the file and I'm trying to understand what the goal is.

Is this an attempt to calculate power dissipation and heating for a non-sinusoidal but periodic waveform?

I've looked at the file and I'm trying to understand what the goal is. Is this an attempt to calculate power dissipation and heating for a non-sinusoidal but periodic waveform?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.