Why I couldn't find the variable comp1.dtopo1.theta when using the density model of TO module?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

At the very least, the "dtopo1.theta" variable should be present when utilizing the Topology Optimization module. Additionally, I'm using version 6.1, and I was unable to locate this variable there. Has it already been merged into another variable or rendered obsolete? Since I couldn't insert it here for some reason, I submitted a screenshot!

4 Replies Last Post Feb 14, 2024, 1:55 a.m. EST
Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 months ago Feb 13, 2024, 5:24 a.m. EST

The average is a global variable, while dtopo1.theta is a field variable. Where are you looking for the latter to be? You can plot it for example.

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
The average is a global variable, while dtopo1.theta is a field variable. Where are you looking for the latter to be? You can plot it for example.

Posted: 2 months ago Feb 13, 2024, 6:45 a.m. EST

Thank you for your reply. I'm looking for theta, but find only theta_avg. I'm asking where can I find the field variable theta.

>The average is a global variable, while dtopo1.theta is a field variable. Where are you looking for the latter to be? You can plot it for example. Thank you for your reply. I'm looking for **theta**, but find only **theta_avg**. I'm asking where can I find the **field variable** *theta*.

Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 months ago Feb 13, 2024, 7:46 a.m. EST
Updated: 2 months ago Feb 13, 2024, 7:46 a.m. EST

If you solve a structural mechanics problem, you can plot the displacement field. But you cannot find that field under global variables. You will have to probe displacement in a point, or integrated or averaged, or something similar to be able extract the numbers. Same thing with the theta field. You can plot it, extract it in points, or something similar. But it is not found as a global variable.

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
If you solve a structural mechanics problem, you can plot the displacement field. But you cannot find that field under global variables. You will have to probe displacement in a point, or integrated or averaged, or something similar to be able extract the numbers. Same thing with the theta field. You can plot it, extract it in points, or something similar. But it is not found as a global variable.

Posted: 2 months ago Feb 14, 2024, 1:55 a.m. EST

Thank you so much, I found it by clicking help on "density model".

>If you solve a structural mechanics problem, you can plot the displacement field. But you cannot find that field under global variables. You will have to probe displacement in a point, or integrated or averaged, or something similar to be able extract the numbers. Same thing with the theta field. You can plot it, extract it in points, or something similar. But it is not found as a global variable. Thank you so much, I found it by clicking help on "density model".

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.