Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

time-dep. boundary condition for time-dep. study step when first solving the stationary case

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hey there,

just a quick question - i wish to implement a study with a stationary and a time-dependend study step, using the solution of the first as initial conditions for the latter as described e.g. in the users guide, but one of my boundary conditions is different for the stationary and the time-dependent case i want to solve, respectively.

do i really need to build two separate models and thus define the geometry for example twice (although it is the same)?

Since i dont see a way to make different boundary conditions to be used in the different steps, and i tried it having two PDE knodes and then select which one to use in the solution step subnodes, but then comsol gives an error message referring to the time variable t which appears in the boundary condition for the time-dependent case of course, but is not known when using the stationary solver.

thanx in advance,
sabine

ps: if you read this quesiton but do not intend to answer because you find the question trivial or stupid, it would already be helpful to let be know that so its worth to do more try+error..

0 Replies Last Post Dec 12, 2012, 7:43 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sabine

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.