Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

VCCS

Fazlul Rahman Mohd Yunus

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I simulating a 3D electrode model and do not know how to use voltage controlled current source (VCCS) under electric circuits (ec). Can anyone help me where can I find examples using the VCCS. Currenly I would like to connect a terminal (node 1) with the VCCS.

Regards
Fazlul

3 Replies Last Post Dec 14, 2012, 11:31 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 14, 2012, 1:09 a.m. EST
Hi

search on the Forum, there are already several examples around

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi search on the Forum, there are already several examples around -- Good luck Ivar

Fazlul Rahman Mohd Yunus

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 14, 2012, 3:11 a.m. EST
Hi Ivar,

Hope you can help.I am new in with the software and not familiar with electrical set-up. I make a simple 2D rectangular cell which 2 sides contains of aluminum electrodes. I want to applied VCCS (10V, 0.01A) to one of the electrode while the other electrode I want to connect with 1000k resistance and measure the voltage across the resistance. In the 2D model I use the electric circuit(cir) and electric current(ec). I have tried many times but still confusing about the nodes pair in VCCS. However I tried to applied 0.01A to the model.The setting window the setting of nodes and values are as follows.

electric circuit:
ground node 0
current source 1 0 ; 0.01A
external I-terminal terminal voltage (ec/term1)
resistor 1k 2 0

electric current:
terminal 1 boundary=3 terminal name=1 terminal type=circuit
terminal 2 boundary=2 terminal name=2 terminal current=circuit
ground 0

I selected water as medium inside the rectangular. After computing this error occurs:
DAE is structurally inconsistent
variables:1
equation:0

can you please comment what I am doing wrong here and If I want to replace the current source with the VCCS how to connect them to the electrode.

Regards
Fazlul
Hi Ivar, Hope you can help.I am new in with the software and not familiar with electrical set-up. I make a simple 2D rectangular cell which 2 sides contains of aluminum electrodes. I want to applied VCCS (10V, 0.01A) to one of the electrode while the other electrode I want to connect with 1000k resistance and measure the voltage across the resistance. In the 2D model I use the electric circuit(cir) and electric current(ec). I have tried many times but still confusing about the nodes pair in VCCS. However I tried to applied 0.01A to the model.The setting window the setting of nodes and values are as follows. electric circuit: ground node 0 current source 1 0 ; 0.01A external I-terminal terminal voltage (ec/term1) resistor 1k 2 0 electric current: terminal 1 boundary=3 terminal name=1 terminal type=circuit terminal 2 boundary=2 terminal name=2 terminal current=circuit ground 0 I selected water as medium inside the rectangular. After computing this error occurs: DAE is structurally inconsistent variables:1 equation:0 can you please comment what I am doing wrong here and If I want to replace the current source with the VCCS how to connect them to the electrode. Regards Fazlul

Fazlul Rahman Mohd Yunus

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 14, 2012, 11:31 a.m. EST
Hi,
Regarding my previous problem, I have reconstructed the previous 2D model but this time using the VCCS. The parameters are as written below;
Electric circuit
VCCS
1 gain=0.001

Voltage source
4 DC=1V

Resistor
4 1kohm

Ext.I –terminal 1 terminal voltage (ec/term1)

Resistor
2 1kohm

Ext.I vs U
2 terminal voltage(ec/term2)

Electric current
Terminal 1 terminal name:1 type: circuit
Terminal2 terminal name;2 type :circuit

Simulation of the model contains no error. However I noticed that the potential at terminal 1 is -180V and terminal 2 is -1.881V. My question is - what am I doing wrong here. Please advice.

Regards
Fazlul
Hi, Regarding my previous problem, I have reconstructed the previous 2D model but this time using the VCCS. The parameters are as written below; Electric circuit VCCS 1 gain=0.001 0 4 0 Voltage source 4 DC=1V 0 Resistor 4 1kohm 0 Ext.I –terminal 1 terminal voltage (ec/term1) Resistor 2 1kohm 0 Ext.I vs U 2 terminal voltage(ec/term2) 0 Electric current Terminal 1 terminal name:1 type: circuit Terminal2 terminal name;2 type :circuit Simulation of the model contains no error. However I noticed that the potential at terminal 1 is -180V and terminal 2 is -1.881V. My question is - what am I doing wrong here. Please advice. Regards Fazlul

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.