All domains not applicable in Electrostriction multiphysics settings

Massimiliano Vallocchia

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone, I'm trying to simulate the effect of electric field on the mechanical properties of a capacitor. When I try to select domain for the Electrostriction multiphysics all domains are listed as not applicable. The geometry is formed as a union, COMSOL version 6.0, see attached file.

Tnx a lot in advance for any advice from a beginning but enthusiastic COMSOL user

3 Replies Last Post May 23, 2024, 6:40 a.m. EDT
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 weeks ago May 22, 2024, 8:30 a.m. EDT
Updated: 4 weeks ago May 22, 2024, 8:31 a.m. EDT

Hi Massimiliano,

The Electrostriction multiphyiscs node is not applicable because the Material type setting is set to Nonsolid in the Settings window for Charge Conservation in the Electrostatics interface. It should be set to Solid in the model domains.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Massimiliano, The **Electrostriction** multiphyiscs node is not applicable because the **Material type** setting is set to **Nonsolid** in the **Settings** window for **Charge Conservation** in the Electrostatics interface. It should be set to **Solid** in the model domains. Best regards, Magnus

Massimiliano Vallocchia

Posted: 4 weeks ago May 23, 2024, 5:37 a.m. EDT

Hello, thank you for your suggestion, the domains now are ok, but I still find difficult to plot capacitor deformation. Can you suggest a tutorial? I can find only a lot of piezoelectric examples in the learning center.

Thank you again

Hello, thank you for your suggestion, the domains now are ok, but I still find difficult to plot capacitor deformation. Can you suggest a tutorial? I can find only a lot of piezoelectric examples in the learning center. Thank you again

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 weeks ago May 23, 2024, 6:40 a.m. EDT

Hello Massimilano,

Plotting deformation is common in structural mechanics models by adding a Deformation subnode to your plot. Its default spatial components are the displacements u, v, and w (in 3D), scaled to show an exaggerated deformation (actual deformations are generally small in comparison to the model geometry). You can change the default scaling if needed.

Best regards, Magnus

Hello Massimilano, Plotting deformation is common in structural mechanics models by adding a **Deformation** subnode to your plot. Its default spatial components are the displacements `u`, `v`, and `w` (in 3D), scaled to show an exaggerated deformation (actual deformations are generally small in comparison to the model geometry). You can change the default scaling if needed. Best regards, Magnus

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.