Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling Metallic Diaphragm

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am a novice COMSOL user using the software for a student project so apologies if my problem below seems simple.

I have a 2D axisymetric model of a thin metallic diaphragm (approx 25mm di and 0.025mm in thickness).
The diaphragm is deformed by a uniform pressure load and fixed around its perimeter.

To begin I have used a simple flat diaphragm and the model produces deflection results that agree well with theory for small deflections (up to approx 2xthickness)

When a greater pressure differential is applied the model appears to become over "stiff" and the predicted deflection is significantly below that given by theoretical results.

Currently I have tried varying the mesh size and shape (quad/tri) with no significant change in the result. I have also trialled both linear and quadratic elements with no significant improvement (the element quality is always extremely high due to the simple geometry).

I am using a linear elastic model with non-linear geometry enabled. Is this Ok to use when there is considerable strain in the model?

I would be great full if anybody has any feedback on how to improve the model / experience with a similar model or ideas on why it may be differing from theory?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

1 Reply Last Post Feb 12, 2013, 11:15 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 12, 2013, 11:15 a.m. EST
Hi

so far I have always got very good agrement between COMSOL and analytical values, but sometimes one go outside the linear regime, then you should turn on the "solver - Geometrical non-linearities" to get better results, perhaps that is your case ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi so far I have always got very good agrement between COMSOL and analytical values, but sometimes one go outside the linear regime, then you should turn on the "solver - Geometrical non-linearities" to get better results, perhaps that is your case ? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.