Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrode modeling - diffusion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody, I am new to COMSOL and I need to model a 2D problem. I have two electrodes (a generator and a collector) immersed in a support electrolyte of 100mM of KCl in which there's a 1mM of Fe(CN6)^(4-) which will become Fe(CN6)^(3-). I need to analyze over time the concentration, taking into consideration the diffusion only (not the convection). Can you help me to set up the problem? I defined the geometry and the control volume, but now I'm stuck in the definition of the problem.
Andrea

2 Replies Last Post Dec 12, 2016, 9:52 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 19, 2013, 5:32 p.m. EST
Hey Andrea,
A little extra information would be very helpful. Are you modelling an SECM experiment, a microfluidic generator collector experiment, or something more like RRDE? Also, do you need time dependent studies (i.e. modelling voltammograms) or are you just interested in modelling in steady state (SECM approach curves, collection efficiencies, etc.). It makes a pretty big difference in how you will set up the boundary conditions.

The Center for Electrochemistry at UT Austin has some walkthroughs that are set up for v3.5, but they are still helpful conceptually.

Another good reference is Electrochemical Methods: Fundamentals and Applications (2ed. 2004) by Bard and Faulkner. Appendix B goes over how to set up boundary layers when writing your own finite element model, but a lot of it still translates into Comsol.

cec.cm.utexas.edu/software/platform/comsol-multiphysics
Hey Andrea, A little extra information would be very helpful. Are you modelling an SECM experiment, a microfluidic generator collector experiment, or something more like RRDE? Also, do you need time dependent studies (i.e. modelling voltammograms) or are you just interested in modelling in steady state (SECM approach curves, collection efficiencies, etc.). It makes a pretty big difference in how you will set up the boundary conditions. The Center for Electrochemistry at UT Austin has some walkthroughs that are set up for v3.5, but they are still helpful conceptually. Another good reference is Electrochemical Methods: Fundamentals and Applications (2ed. 2004) by Bard and Faulkner. Appendix B goes over how to set up boundary layers when writing your own finite element model, but a lot of it still translates into Comsol. http://cec.cm.utexas.edu/software/platform/comsol-multiphysics

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 12, 2016, 9:52 a.m. EST
I have the same question, too

Can u tell me how to settle down the boundary?
I have the same question, too Can u tell me how to settle down the boundary?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.