Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Extruding a hexagon polygon

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want build a prism with a hexagon cross section but am having some issues. I have drawn a hexagon polygon and tried to extrude this but it doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6 Replies Last Post Feb 15, 2017, 3:54 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 11, 2013, 10:06 a.m. EDT
I have similar problems..I want to do octoganal prism ..any suggestion please?
I have similar problems..I want to do octoganal prism ..any suggestion please?

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 12, 2013, 4:01 a.m. EDT
Hi,

This should be possible:

1. Start a 3D model.
2. In the Geometry branch, add a Work Plane.
3. In the Work Plane's Plane Geometry sequence, add a Polygon node with the following settings (to create a simple hexagon):

Type: Solid

xw: 0 sin(angle) sin(2*angle) sin(3*angle) sin(4*angle) sin(5*angle) 0
yw: 1 cos(angle) cos(2*angle) cos(3*angle) cos(4*angle) cos(5*angle) 1

where angle is a parameter that is defined as 60[deg].

4. Right-click the Work Plane node and choose Extrude.
5. In the Extrude node's settings window, enter an extrusion distance under "Distances from Plane".
6. Click Build Selected or Build All.

Hope this helps,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, This should be possible: 1. Start a 3D model. 2. In the Geometry branch, add a Work Plane. 3. In the Work Plane's Plane Geometry sequence, add a Polygon node with the following settings (to create a simple hexagon): Type: Solid xw: 0 sin(angle) sin(2*angle) sin(3*angle) sin(4*angle) sin(5*angle) 0 yw: 1 cos(angle) cos(2*angle) cos(3*angle) cos(4*angle) cos(5*angle) 1 where angle is a parameter that is defined as 60[deg]. 4. Right-click the Work Plane node and choose Extrude. 5. In the Extrude node's settings window, enter an extrusion distance under "Distances from Plane". 6. Click Build Selected or Build All. Hope this helps, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 12, 2013, 2:54 p.m. EDT
Thank you very much for your help. I did what you said and it's all working now.
Thank you very much for your help. I did what you said and it's all working now.

Posted: 8 years ago Dec 30, 2015, 8:28 a.m. EST
thanks a lot, sir! !!!!!!!!!!
it was very helpful instruction set to build a prism.
please give me an instruction set to coat a layer of prism with another material.
thanks a lot, sir! !!!!!!!!!! it was very helpful instruction set to build a prism. please give me an instruction set to coat a layer of prism with another material.

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 15, 2017, 1:59 p.m. EST
Hi!

we need to model a high frequency horn. It has hybrid flare, the xy cross section has exponential flare and yz cross section has a conical flare. Is there a way to extrude it using exponential and linear function?

Thank you.
Feruza
Hi! we need to model a high frequency horn. It has hybrid flare, the xy cross section has exponential flare and yz cross section has a conical flare. Is there a way to extrude it using exponential and linear function? Thank you. Feruza

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 15, 2017, 3:54 p.m. EST
Hi Feruza,
I don't believe you can create that shape using an extrusion because of the exponential flare. The interface for extrusion supports conical flares only, as far as I know. But an alternate approach would be, if your base cross-section is a simple one, to use a parametric surface -or several parametric surfaces if needed. Another idea, if your license includes the Design Module, would be to loft a surface over several parallel cross sections.
Best regards,
Jeff
Hi Feruza, I don't believe you can create that shape using an extrusion because of the exponential flare. The interface for extrusion supports conical flares only, as far as I know. But an alternate approach would be, if your base cross-section is a simple one, to use a parametric surface -or several parametric surfaces if needed. Another idea, if your license includes the Design Module, would be to loft a surface over several parallel cross sections. Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.