Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Laminar outflow boundary condition does not converge!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am new to this programm and want to simulate the first part of a streamed circular duct. It serves as an hydrodynamical entry length to develop the velocity flow profile. In the second part (not part of this simulation) the duct is affected by a heat flux to develop the thermal flow profile separately.

Therefore I chose the "laminar flow" physics and used "normal inflow velocity" as a inlet boundary condition. Using "pressure, no viscous stress" as outlet boundary condition COMSOL archieves a solution.

But I want to consider the first part of the duct continued in the earlier explained second part.
So I chose "laminar outflow" as outlet boundary condition with an average velocity=[inflow velocity] (due to unchanged temperature/density) and an exit length=[length of the second part of the circular duct]. Now COMSOL gives the error:

"Failed to find a solution.
Maximum number of Newton iterations reached.
Returned solution is not converged."

Both parts are calculated long enough to serve as an entry/exit length. Re is always <2300.
Please give me a hint about what I did wrong!

Sincerely, Fabian

EDIT: I found out that the max. velocity (2*entry velocity) does not get reached, although the entry length is much longer than 0,056*(Re=2300)*d ?!

2 Replies Last Post Aug 6, 2017, 6:05 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 26, 2013, 11:16 a.m. EDT
Hi Fabian,

I think your outlet boundary condition should not define the velocity, since the model already takes care of this with the inlet boundary condition. If you define the velocity at one end, the other end should define the pressure and vice versa.

Best regards
David
Hi Fabian, I think your outlet boundary condition should not define the velocity, since the model already takes care of this with the inlet boundary condition. If you define the velocity at one end, the other end should define the pressure and vice versa. Best regards David

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 6, 2017, 6:05 a.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago Aug 6, 2017, 6:05 a.m. EDT
i am wondering, how can someone apply velocity gradient [(delu)by del(x) =0] boundary condition at outlet in comsol?
i am wondering, how can someone apply velocity gradient [(delu)by del(x) =0] boundary condition at outlet in comsol?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.