Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

No boundary conditions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'd like to simulate the deformation behaviour of a iron plate which is heated into an oven.
The plate is perfectly symetric.
Is it possible not to impose boundary conditions ?
Indeed I would like to understand the behaviour of the plate without exterior mecanical stress, only heating.

I've made some tests but the calculation are very long and the results really strange.

I hope to be understandable.

Mat'

1 Reply Last Post Mar 17, 2010, 7:10 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 17, 2010, 7:10 a.m. EDT
Hi

Well your iron plate is supported I assume, it's not levitating , or ?

You could always fix a corner and adjust two others to stay at constant z, this would block "lightly" the main doF, and then apply your heat source and have a gradient develop over time.

The main issue is that if it is totally free you need someway to define the average positio and orientation of your plate since its free to move around in space

But the calculations should be specially "long", if you havnt overloaded it with a too dense mesh

It is a good exercice to uncerstand how to support a part freely , with minimum external influence, going further with free support via weak constraints is also possible

Good luck
Ivar

Hi Well your iron plate is supported I assume, it's not levitating , or ? You could always fix a corner and adjust two others to stay at constant z, this would block "lightly" the main doF, and then apply your heat source and have a gradient develop over time. The main issue is that if it is totally free you need someway to define the average positio and orientation of your plate since its free to move around in space But the calculations should be specially "long", if you havnt overloaded it with a too dense mesh It is a good exercice to uncerstand how to support a part freely , with minimum external influence, going further with free support via weak constraints is also possible Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.