Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

what kind of mesh method do i need to choose?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
i'm modeling a hollow cylinder with one end closed and want to see the defomation under eignfrequencies. During the process of mesh, i dont know how to mesh the cylinder, i mean, is there any standard or requirment for hollow cylinder under eignfrequency analysis?

I choose initialized mesh method and another mesh method desided by myself, the eignfrequencies from the two methods are different. Which way is the proper way to mesh my model?

Thanks!

2 Replies Last Post Mar 17, 2010, 9:39 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 17, 2010, 4:13 a.m. EDT
Hi

There are no easy reply, in a general sens, but ONE important feature of the mesh is that it MUST represent correctly the gradients, or deformations of your model. Therefore one often check the mesh density by "refining" once and resolving, just to ensure hat you have less then 5-10% changes in results. To much changes indicte a too coarse mesh, too small changes might indicate a very fine mesh. Now there is no danger in making the mesh too fine, its only that you might hit a RAM limit, or simply it wuld solve very slowly, just as frustrating.

For your case of a hollow cylinder (with or without a closed end) I would use the symmetry, and sketch it in a 2D-axi geoemtry, an then revolve mesh it into a 3D shape (with tri and/or quads) this gives you a regular mesh. You can then compare the results with a 3D free-teth mesh

Good luck
Ivar
Hi There are no easy reply, in a general sens, but ONE important feature of the mesh is that it MUST represent correctly the gradients, or deformations of your model. Therefore one often check the mesh density by "refining" once and resolving, just to ensure hat you have less then 5-10% changes in results. To much changes indicte a too coarse mesh, too small changes might indicate a very fine mesh. Now there is no danger in making the mesh too fine, its only that you might hit a RAM limit, or simply it wuld solve very slowly, just as frustrating. For your case of a hollow cylinder (with or without a closed end) I would use the symmetry, and sketch it in a 2D-axi geoemtry, an then revolve mesh it into a 3D shape (with tri and/or quads) this gives you a regular mesh. You can then compare the results with a 3D free-teth mesh Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 17, 2010, 9:39 a.m. EDT
So cool. Thanks very much. I will try that!
So cool. Thanks very much. I will try that!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.