Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

source/load assignment

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

i was wondering if it is possible to assign a load or source/sink to a particular set of nodes in the comsol, or a single node,especially if the mesh is generated by a third party (simpleware or Mimics).

thanks
salman

1 Reply Last Post Mar 18, 2010, 3:12 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 18, 2010, 3:12 a.m. EDT
Hi

from my understanding in Comsol, the developpers have done an important job on keeping the item of a FEm model well segregated, in the sens that the BC's are defined on the boundarie i.e. geometry and the mesh is only an operation on the geometries to discretise them. Then its internal to COMSOL that nodes and elements inherit theire properties depening on the boundaries they lay on, or domainstheyy belong to. One do not have an individual access to the nodes or single elements as such.

So when i want to apply something to a particular set of elements, respectively nodes, I sub-divide the domain/sub-domain respectively boundary such that I catch the meshing items this way. Which gives me all freedom to refine the mesh without having to change my model BC definitions

Does this help to understand ?
Good luck
Ivar
Hi from my understanding in Comsol, the developpers have done an important job on keeping the item of a FEm model well segregated, in the sens that the BC's are defined on the boundarie i.e. geometry and the mesh is only an operation on the geometries to discretise them. Then its internal to COMSOL that nodes and elements inherit theire properties depening on the boundaries they lay on, or domainstheyy belong to. One do not have an individual access to the nodes or single elements as such. So when i want to apply something to a particular set of elements, respectively nodes, I sub-divide the domain/sub-domain respectively boundary such that I catch the meshing items this way. Which gives me all freedom to refine the mesh without having to change my model BC definitions Does this help to understand ? Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.