Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to control the model step by step in particle tracking?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, everyone. I'm currently working on an particle tracing problem in which the particle density is changing with time. Therefore, I need to calculate the particel density every time step (or every several time step). How can I solve this problem?

I want to solve this problem like this: pause the model at each time step==>caculate and update the particle density==>continue the model.

By the way, the varition of the particle density is not a simple function of time, and its value of the (i+1)th step has relationship with the ith step. I've tried the time discrete study, but it dosen't work in particle tracing (only Error: Time derivative only allowed with respect to mesh time)?

Anyone can help me? Thanks a lot in advance! Best wishes!

1 Reply Last Post Dec 16, 2015, 3:24 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Feng Lin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago Dec 16, 2015, 3:24 a.m. EST
Time derivative only allowed with respect to mesh time.
- Expression: d(comp1.c1,t)
define a variable t= TIME and try it again
Time derivative only allowed with respect to mesh time. - Expression: d(comp1.c1,t) define a variable t= TIME and try it again

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.