Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving heat source / Gaussian beam really in 2D? - Symmetry issues?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am aware that the Gaussian Beam/moving heat source issue has already been extensively discussed in the community and I have spent quite some time reading through the various posts. However, I am still not entirely confident about my conclusions and would like to get some feedback from the community.
Can I really model a moving Gaussian beam (surface or volume source, transient) in 2D?
If the source is fixed, no problem; 2D axis symmetry around the beam center that is clear. However, as soon as it is moving I am losing my 2D symmetry, right? So the model would have to be at least 3D symmetric with a symmetry plan defined by the beam axis and the direct of the (linear) motion of the beam, right? (By the way: How would I define this 3D symmetry in Comsol?)
That is at least what I am taking form previous posts and my understanding of how Comsol deals with symmetries/model dimensions.

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/14155
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/31787

One of the reasons why I am questioning my reasoning is because of some paper of past Comsol conferences that actually do a 2D model of a moving beam.

Any feedback on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Christian

0 Replies Last Post Dec 5, 2013, 8:01 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Christian

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.