Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

no convergence for cylinder under external pressure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a 2D model of a cylinder tube.
External pressure acts on the outer wall of the cylinder, a different pressure on the inner wall.
The analysis does not converge:

I get an error message:
"Failed to find a solution for the initial parameter./Maximum number of Newton iterations reached./There was an error message from the linear solver./The relative error (3.9e+002) is greater than the relative tolerance./Returned solution is not converged./ - Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1)"

What is missing, to make it converge?
I include a model file.

I got the same problem with a 3D modeling of a cylinder tube, if I put the base on a "Roller" foundation, while it does converge, if I use "fixed constraint".

1 Reply Last Post Feb 12, 2014, 5:05 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 12, 2014, 5:05 a.m. EST
With increasing experience I found the solution for 2-D myself: I need to insert a "fixed constraint" at two "points" or a "roller" on one surface segment.

With increasing experience I found the solution for 2-D myself: I need to insert a "fixed constraint" at two "points" or a "roller" on one surface segment.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.