Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Convergence in convective heat transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,
I am trying to replicate the model of a published paper about the performances of horizontal micro-fins in natural convection (Mahmoud et al. (2011). Effect of micro fin geometry on natural convection heat transfer of horizontal microstructures. Applied Thermal Engineering, 31(5), 627–633). The essential part is that:
" The air cylinder was modeled as a smooth adiabatic wall with an opening boundary condition at its top to allow the air flow to go in and out of the computational domain. The bottom and side surfaces of the insulation material were modeled as adiabatic boundaries. The temperature of inflow from the top was 293K. The simulation started with an initial temperature throughout the computational domain of 293K. The heat was added to the domain through a source term in the energy equation of the heating element sub domain. The buoyant flow above the copper plate and inside the cylinder was modeled as laminar natural convective heat transfer condition with radiation effects included."

I create the same geometry and tried to replicate the functions as well. In order to improve the convergence, I used some tips found on the forum and on the examples: I am using a Highly Nonlinear solving method and a continuation parametric solver for the air density.

Since the model is not yet giving a solution, I would like to know if anyone can suggest some tips or feedback. I hope I have been clear enough: if not, please let me know if you need any other information. Many thanks in advance.
Leo

0 Replies Last Post Feb 25, 2014, 5:57 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Leonardo Micheli

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.