Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling the stress intensity factor as a function of time

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to use COMSOL for my project to model the stress intensity factor as a function of time for a center crack plate with an applied thermal stress.

1 Reply Last Post Jul 7, 2015, 2:10 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rayman Lam

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 7, 2015, 2:10 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I am also trying to determine SIF for 3D geometry (see attached model). The idea is to compare the line (1D), surface (2D) and volume (3D) J-integral methods. But my results do not seem to be consistent so far. Any ideas s to why????

I have used the contour equation:- 2*((solid.Ws)+(-((solid.sx+solid.sxy)*uX*Nx+(solid.sxy+solid.sy)*vX*Ny))) for all cases only difference is the type of integral and edges, boundary, and domains used in derrived value node respectively. Based on reference: www.comsol.com/model/single-edge-crack-988

Thanks so much in advance.
Kind regards
ISA D.
Hi, I am also trying to determine SIF for 3D geometry (see attached model). The idea is to compare the line (1D), surface (2D) and volume (3D) J-integral methods. But my results do not seem to be consistent so far. Any ideas s to why???? I have used the contour equation:- 2*((solid.Ws)+(-((solid.sx+solid.sxy)*uX*Nx+(solid.sxy+solid.sy)*vX*Ny))) for all cases only difference is the type of integral and edges, boundary, and domains used in derrived value node respectively. Based on reference: www.comsol.com/model/single-edge-crack-988 Thanks so much in advance. Kind regards ISA D.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.