Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

saved solutions with transient multi-physics problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am looking for guidance on how to properly save and use solutions for a multi-step transient problem.

Problem description:
I have a thin conductor patterned onto a substrate. Current is applied through the conductor and resistive heating of the conductor occurs. (Physics - Conductive media DC) Heat is conducted through the substrate giving rise to a time dependent spatial temperature distribution of the object. (Physics - Heat transfer by conduction) Time dependent temperature distribution should cause time-dependent stress and strain due to thermal expansion of the object. (Physics - Solid - stress, strain).

I am in the end interested in the strain/stress as a function of time. It seems like I should be able to solve each of these problems separately in sequence rather than trying to solve them all simultaneously (the computer chokes when I try to solve it simultaneously). When I try to do this, the solver does not use the solution at each time step.

Does somebody have an example problem that demonstrates what I want to do or some other insight that might make things easier?

Thanks,
Jeramy

2 Replies Last Post Jun 2, 2015, 12:23 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 31, 2010, 2:10 a.m. EDT
Hi

cannt you use the segregated solver (V3.5a) and and sequence the two, if not you could use matlab to reopen each saved time results and run your stationary thereon, you have the operator at() and with() to access time dependent results or eigenmode results when you need to mix calculations (this is for postprocessing though)

Good luck
Ivar
Hi cannt you use the segregated solver (V3.5a) and and sequence the two, if not you could use matlab to reopen each saved time results and run your stationary thereon, you have the operator at() and with() to access time dependent results or eigenmode results when you need to mix calculations (this is for postprocessing though) Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 2, 2015, 12:23 a.m. EDT

I am looking for guidance on how to properly save and use solutions for a multi-step transient problem.

Problem description:
I have a thin conductor patterned onto a substrate. Current is applied through the conductor and resistive heating of the conductor occurs. (Physics - Conductive media DC) Heat is conducted through the substrate giving rise to a time dependent spatial temperature distribution of the object. (Physics - Heat transfer by conduction) Time dependent temperature distribution should cause time-dependent stress and strain due to thermal expansion of the object. (Physics - Solid - stress, strain).

I am in the end interested in the strain/stress as a function of time. It seems like I should be able to solve each of these problems separately in sequence rather than trying to solve them all simultaneously (the computer chokes when I try to solve it simultaneously). When I try to do this, the solver does not use the solution at each time step.

Does somebody have an example problem that demonstrates what I want to do or some other insight that might make things easier?

Thanks,
Jeramy

Hi

Did you get the solution for your problem?? I am exactly in the same position, where i need to compute time dependent stress/ strain based on the temperature profile at each time step saved in previous study step.

Please help...........

Thanks
Basky
[QUOTE] I am looking for guidance on how to properly save and use solutions for a multi-step transient problem. Problem description: I have a thin conductor patterned onto a substrate. Current is applied through the conductor and resistive heating of the conductor occurs. (Physics - Conductive media DC) Heat is conducted through the substrate giving rise to a time dependent spatial temperature distribution of the object. (Physics - Heat transfer by conduction) Time dependent temperature distribution should cause time-dependent stress and strain due to thermal expansion of the object. (Physics - Solid - stress, strain). I am in the end interested in the strain/stress as a function of time. It seems like I should be able to solve each of these problems separately in sequence rather than trying to solve them all simultaneously (the computer chokes when I try to solve it simultaneously). When I try to do this, the solver does not use the solution at each time step. Does somebody have an example problem that demonstrates what I want to do or some other insight that might make things easier? Thanks, Jeramy [/QUOTE] Hi Did you get the solution for your problem?? I am exactly in the same position, where i need to compute time dependent stress/ strain based on the temperature profile at each time step saved in previous study step. Please help........... Thanks Basky

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.