Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Capacitance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I want to measure the capacitance of a simple parallel capacitor inside Comsol. I defined a global variable using “Options/ Integration Coupling Variable/boundary variables”. I named it C and used the expression as follow: “4*epsilon0/(5[um]+w2)”.

After solution, when I want to plot the variable in “post processing/Global variable plot”, I face the Error message No. 8032 which says “ C is not a valid global expression”.

Please help me what is wrong in defining the variables?

6 Replies Last Post Jun 22, 2010, 8:17 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 14, 2009, 1:31 a.m. EDT
Hi there, I think your variable is only defined on the boundary and is not a global variable. In any case if you want to plot your variable try going to Post processing->domain plot parameters select the "surface" tab then select the boundary on which you defined the variable C then type C in the expressions field then hit apply.
Hope that helps
Ryan
Hi there, I think your variable is only defined on the boundary and is not a global variable. In any case if you want to plot your variable try going to Post processing->domain plot parameters select the "surface" tab then select the boundary on which you defined the variable C then type C in the expressions field then hit apply. Hope that helps Ryan

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 2, 2009, 10:15 a.m. EDT
I am also trying to model a simple parallel plate capacitor but I do not really know where to start. I used the AC/DC electrostatics 3D model. Where can I find more information about modeling the electric field between the plates as well as measuring the capacitance?
I am also trying to model a simple parallel plate capacitor but I do not really know where to start. I used the AC/DC electrostatics 3D model. Where can I find more information about modeling the electric field between the plates as well as measuring the capacitance?

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 2, 2009, 11:57 a.m. EDT
To Ryan: Thank you very much. I tried the other way and I successfully get the result.
To Christo: I recommend you to read the examples in model Library of MEMS Module and try to do them yourself. It's really helpful.
To Ryan: Thank you very much. I tried the other way and I successfully get the result. To Christo: I recommend you to read the examples in model Library of MEMS Module and try to do them yourself. It's really helpful.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 7, 2009, 10:32 a.m. EDT
Thanks! It works.
Thanks! It works.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 22, 2010, 7:52 p.m. EDT

Ryan: I think your variable is only defined on the boundary and is not a global variable.

I get the same error message. I defined my variables in global expressions yet I face this problem. I can plot using surface/point in post processing mode, but this doesn't let me plot multiple global expressions in a single plot. If plotting from global expressions work fine, making multiple plots in a single graph would be really easy.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Rajesh.
[QUOTE] Ryan: I think your variable is only defined on the boundary and is not a global variable. [/QUOTE] I get the same error message. I defined my variables in global expressions yet I face this problem. I can plot using surface/point in post processing mode, but this doesn't let me plot multiple global expressions in a single plot. If plotting from global expressions work fine, making multiple plots in a single graph would be really easy. Any suggestions? Regards, Rajesh.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 22, 2010, 8:17 p.m. EDT
Hi Rajesh, that is very odd, you should be able to plot your variables in "Global variables plot.." I am able to do so in my models, perhaps you could email me your model and I could have a quick look at it. Did you update your model after defining the variables??
Regards
Ryan
Hi Rajesh, that is very odd, you should be able to plot your variables in "Global variables plot.." I am able to do so in my models, perhaps you could email me your model and I could have a quick look at it. Did you update your model after defining the variables?? Regards Ryan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.