Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Lift- and drag coefficient on rotating cylinder in a uniform stream

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
I'm trying to plot the lift and drag force on a rotating cylinder in a uniform stream (2D) for low Re=100. I've been successfull with calculating/plot the coefficient for the non-rotating cylinder which is well in order with literature.

For the non-rotating cylinder I've used the non-slip boundary condition on the cylinder and the expression: -reacf(v)*2/(spf.rho*U_mean^2*d) for the lift coefficient. Where d is the cylinder diameter and U_mean is the free stream velocity.

Now, when I set the boundary to "sliding wall" and set a rotation velocity the calculated lift force C_L=-reacf(v)*2/(spf.rho*U_mean^2*d)=0. Why is that?

EDIT: I've attached the comsol-file
Thank you /Erik

1 Reply Last Post Jul 9, 2014, 3:00 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Erik Stenberg

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago Jul 9, 2014, 3:00 p.m. EDT
dear erik,
i am also facing the same problem. if u have got the solution then please help me out..

thanking you
susobhan
dear erik, i am also facing the same problem. if u have got the solution then please help me out.. thanking you susobhan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.