Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Strange issue with laminar flow level set method

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I recently started using the laminar flow level set method to simulate the motion of water in a partially filled channel as air flows above it. The simulation runs well when the distance scales are large (50 m model width for example) running for a full 15 seconds time range or longer, but when I drop this to smaller scales (such as 5m) the simulation just blows up a few seconds in (or less) with water appearing from the outlet boundary for no reason. Anyone know what could be causing such an error?

1 Reply Last Post May 30, 2014, 7:05 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago May 30, 2014, 7:05 p.m. EDT
I wanted to point out that I was able to get past this issue by increasing the length of the runup slope. Problems of the nature I described seem to occur when the zero contour of the level set (the middle one) passes through the outlet. By increasing the length of the slope (and thus its height) I was able to complete the simulation without this problem occurring.
I wanted to point out that I was able to get past this issue by increasing the length of the runup slope. Problems of the nature I described seem to occur when the zero contour of the level set (the middle one) passes through the outlet. By increasing the length of the slope (and thus its height) I was able to complete the simulation without this problem occurring.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.