Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Smoke extraction from a building

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello comunity!!

I'm in a trial version of COMSOL to evaluate its acquisition.

I want to simulate the smoke extraction from the building when there is a fire.
I plan to start by simulating a room where there is a source of heat and smoke and also a flow output with constant flow.

So far I have modeled the room and the flow output but I can't find a source that will give me heat and smoke (like a gas).

In the end I want to make a transient analysis and check that smoke isn't concentrated at dangerous levels below certain height and I also want to check temperatures around the smoke generation area.

Any help with the modelling of the smoke generation will be much appreciated.

Kind regards.
Eloy Ruiz
Lima, Peru

1 Reply Last Post Jul 7, 2014, 5:59 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago Jul 7, 2014, 5:59 a.m. EDT
I think you should work with 'conjugated heat transfer' physics for the flow of air/gas and heat distribution, and 'transport of concentrated species' to find the gas distribution. I think you have to put an inflow heat flux in the heat transfer physics and an inflow in the species physics. But I am not entirely sure if this has the right effects.
I think you should work with 'conjugated heat transfer' physics for the flow of air/gas and heat distribution, and 'transport of concentrated species' to find the gas distribution. I think you have to put an inflow heat flux in the heat transfer physics and an inflow in the species physics. But I am not entirely sure if this has the right effects.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.