Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving mesh simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am trying to do a simulation of railgun using comsol. Railgun is like an EM launcher setup where an object(armature) is accelerated between two parallel conductors by EM force. There is a tutorial available for this model in the model library of version 3.5 under AC/DC module. But the technique they have used in the tutorial is different from a moving mesh. They have not considered an actual moving armature but rather the conductivity of the volume representing the armature is changed for every time step. It made me wonder whether using moving mesh to simulate this model is possible in comsol? I specifically need to use the moving mesh module to actually move the armature and study the physics.
I am new to comsol. My question: Is it possible to do such type of moving mesh simulation using comsol?
Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you

3 Replies Last Post May 7, 2017, 4:36 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nichith Chandrasekar

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 22, 2017, 11:33 a.m. EDT
I am also looking for the same??? If you get any solution please do inform me.
I am also looking for the same??? If you get any solution please do inform me.

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 24, 2017, 3:18 a.m. EDT
The following 2 links may help. Although not an identical problem, there are many principles that will work in your model too...

uk.comsol.com/blogs/part-1-how-to-model-a-linear-electromagnetic-plunger

uk.comsol.com/blogs/part-2-model-a-linear-electromagnetic-plunger-with-a-blocker

It may be that your version (4.3b) may be slightly different or maybe even lack some of the functionality discussed, but hopefully this is helpful...
The following 2 links may help. Although not an identical problem, there are many principles that will work in your model too... https://uk.comsol.com/blogs/part-1-how-to-model-a-linear-electromagnetic-plunger https://uk.comsol.com/blogs/part-2-model-a-linear-electromagnetic-plunger-with-a-blocker It may be that your version (4.3b) may be slightly different or maybe even lack some of the functionality discussed, but hopefully this is helpful...

Nichith Chandrasekaran

Posted: 7 years ago May 7, 2017, 4:36 p.m. EDT
Hi

The links you shared does help. Thank you very much.

Nichith
Hi The links you shared does help. Thank you very much. Nichith

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.