Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Very basic question? Entering Residual stress

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm trying to enter a residual stress inside a thin film. In model builder I go under "solid mechanics (solid)" >> "Linear elastic material 1" >> "Initial Stress and strain" and I enter -250e10 for the row 1 column 1 and row 2 column 2 entry under "initial stress". When I simulate the stress in the x direction at room temperature, with a reference temperature at room temperature, I get a stress close to 0 Pa. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something very basic but I would expect it to be -250e10. What am I missing?

1 Reply Last Post Jan 29, 2015, 11:27 p.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Jan 29, 2015, 11:27 p.m. EST
Seems like I have to put in a fixed boundary condition and that solves the problem. Is this typically how it's done?
Seems like I have to put in a fixed boundary condition and that solves the problem. Is this typically how it's done?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.