Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

time averaged drag on a sphere

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I would like to calculate time averaged drag on a sphere being pulled (or falling) through a tube of non-uniform walls (such as a corrugated tube) which otherwise contains a stationary fluid. There may be several ways to model this and many complications related to the relative motion between the sphere and the walls but I wanted to ask to draw from everyone's experience, at a high level what would be your approach and why?

Thanks,
Ozgur

2 Replies Last Post Jun 4, 2010, 2:27 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 4, 2010, 2:23 p.m. EDT
something like the falling sand example in Comsol?

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 4, 2010, 2:27 p.m. EDT
yes I am aware of this one, but it circumvents a lot of the mesh challenges in my problem by having a smooth wall so all the relative motion can be accounted for through a simple wall velocity BC. In my case the walls are not uniform.

yes I am aware of this one, but it circumvents a lot of the mesh challenges in my problem by having a smooth wall so all the relative motion can be accounted for through a simple wall velocity BC. In my case the walls are not uniform. [QUOTE] something like the falling sand example in Comsol? [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.