Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Singular matrix dependent on material?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have been able to solve my 2D axi-symmetric flow and HT problem just fine when my two domains are both water, or water and aluminum. However, I have the "Singular Matrix" error when I use water and molybdenum. I have traced this down to the density, and possibly heat capacity at constant pressure as well given they appear together once in the heat equation. I have not been able to change my mesh to work around this problem yet. I don't have this problem in 3D conduction with moly either.

I'm going to keep working through this, but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I have COMSOL 4.0 and am currently using the chemical eng package.

Thank You,

Joe

6 Replies Last Post Jun 23, 2010, 11:04 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 9, 2010, 12:39 p.m. EDT
Ok, after lots of playing with parameters I solved my own problem? Under the Study>Solver Sequence>Stationary>Segregated>Segregated Step 2 (mod1_ep, mod1_k for my turbulent flow problem), I changed the number of iterations to 5 instead of 3.

Also, what led me to this solution was the discovery that the entire error message might be important. The error was something like

"Singular matrix.
Segregated solver"

...so I started to play with the segregated solver.

Thanks!

Joe
Ok, after lots of playing with parameters I solved my own problem? Under the Study>Solver Sequence>Stationary>Segregated>Segregated Step 2 (mod1_ep, mod1_k for my turbulent flow problem), I changed the number of iterations to 5 instead of 3. Also, what led me to this solution was the discovery that the entire error message might be important. The error was something like "Singular matrix. Segregated solver" ...so I started to play with the segregated solver. Thanks! Joe

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 15, 2010, 3:18 p.m. EDT
Link to COMSOL's explanation of the singular matrix error

www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/953/
Link to COMSOL's explanation of the singular matrix error http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/953/

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 17, 2010, 3:01 p.m. EDT
In case anyone is having problems like this, I'm just going to keep posting solutions that I find in my COMSOL experiences.

Singular Matrix? Try running the simulation a second time. Sometimes it will solve the second time without error

Thanks,

Joe
In case anyone is having problems like this, I'm just going to keep posting solutions that I find in my COMSOL experiences. Singular Matrix? Try running the simulation a second time. Sometimes it will solve the second time without error Thanks, Joe

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 18, 2010, 1:48 a.m. EDT
Hi

try a "get initial values (3.5) or compute to here step by step, and check your initial conditions, this is the simplest way I have found to avoid singular matrices dues to missing data or BC inconsistencies.

Probably youmena run a "restart" the second time (from first initial conditiones updated), because just running twice from the same situation should not change the issue

have fun Comsoling
ivar
Hi try a "get initial values (3.5) or compute to here step by step, and check your initial conditions, this is the simplest way I have found to avoid singular matrices dues to missing data or BC inconsistencies. Probably youmena run a "restart" the second time (from first initial conditiones updated), because just running twice from the same situation should not change the issue have fun Comsoling ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 23, 2010, 10:29 a.m. EDT
I'm not sure how to "restart" my solution in COMSOL 4.0..

As for BCs, in case someone notices an inconsistency or possible issue, I have
fluid inlet condition of average normal velocity
fluid outlet condition of no viscous stress and 1[atm] of pressure
HT BC 1000W in at a 1/8" diameter spot, and a
HT BC temperature BC of 287K at the flow inlet.

So, so far my cooling is incredibly poor, causing my block with 1000W to be ~1.5e5 K. Is it possible that this insane temperature is causing problems?

Thank You,

Joe
I'm not sure how to "restart" my solution in COMSOL 4.0.. As for BCs, in case someone notices an inconsistency or possible issue, I have fluid inlet condition of average normal velocity fluid outlet condition of no viscous stress and 1[atm] of pressure HT BC 1000W in at a 1/8" diameter spot, and a HT BC temperature BC of 287K at the flow inlet. So, so far my cooling is incredibly poor, causing my block with 1000W to be ~1.5e5 K. Is it possible that this insane temperature is causing problems? Thank You, Joe

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 23, 2010, 11:04 a.m. EDT
These are the things I've learned about Singular Matrix errors so far. Maybe this will be helpful to someone else, or just reading them in a group like this I will find the common denominator

-Sometimes just changing initial conditions a little (i.e. initial temp 5000K to 10000K) will allow the problem to solve

-Is a mesh is too coarse, or a mesh steps from one domain to another, this will cause a singular matrix problem

-According to Matlab:
-- A determinant w/ a row or column of zeros has a value of 0 -> singular matrix
-- A determinant w/ two rows or columns equal has a value of 0 -> singular matrix
--(I wish i knew how these applied to CFD/HT in comsol)

-Material properties can affect if you get a singular matrix result (i.e. use of molybdenum instead of copper)

-Removing the heat transfer section of my conjugate HT and flow problem while maintaining the same mesh results in a converging solution, where it would normally solve as a singular matrix problem.

Thanks,

Joe

These are the things I've learned about Singular Matrix errors so far. Maybe this will be helpful to someone else, or just reading them in a group like this I will find the common denominator -Sometimes just changing initial conditions a little (i.e. initial temp 5000K to 10000K) will allow the problem to solve -Is a mesh is too coarse, or a mesh steps from one domain to another, this will cause a singular matrix problem -According to Matlab: -- A determinant w/ a row or column of zeros has a value of 0 -> singular matrix -- A determinant w/ two rows or columns equal has a value of 0 -> singular matrix --(I wish i knew how these applied to CFD/HT in comsol) -Material properties can affect if you get a singular matrix result (i.e. use of molybdenum instead of copper) -Removing the heat transfer section of my conjugate HT and flow problem while maintaining the same mesh results in a converging solution, where it would normally solve as a singular matrix problem. Thanks, Joe

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.